Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Think about it, stupid.

“There are only 2 choices; make progress or make excuses.”
– Ellen Mikesell


I came across this quote today and it made me think. It really does apply to everything. In terms of losing weight, and my own personal experience, it really makes sense. I can make up excuses all day long and convince myself that most of them are completely valid. I'm the best at believing my own lies. THE BEST.
It's especially obvious in other people though. It's always easy to spot when someone is totally bullshitting themself. With excuses like a stressful work week, or some sort of emotional difficulty. Personally I know that I'll find whatever possible reason to give myself permission to cheat. This time around I've been doing really well (knock on wood), but generally I'm a terrible, sneaky little cheater.
The reality is that we think we're rewarding ourselves, or comforting ourselves with these cheats and binges, but really isn't it a punishment? I'm beginning to find a lot of sattisfaction in gaining strength against those habits. The ability to make some real, honest to god changes in my lifestyle has been really rewarding. As someone who has never been able to focus long enough to follow through, or complete anything I'm really enjoying all this change. Maybe it's the point of view that helps. It's not restriction, it's change, and I love change. Change is healthy and good and exciting. And it tastes good.

No comments:

Post a Comment