Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Farts and the stink eye, oddly enough NOT how you get pinkeye.

During this first week of the challenge I find myself wanting to talk about goals, but I’m unsure about how to go about it. This whole thing seems to be such a delicate situation for some people, and something as tiny as a number you come up with almost at random that you feel you can reach in a certain amount of time can have such a big impact on everything.

Do you know what I mean?


Most people’s every day life is a balancing act of epic proportions. Every little thing depends on, or directly effects something else. So setting a challenging goal for yourself might seem like a good way to keep yourself motivated in the beginning, but when it gets tough, and you hit some unexpected speed bumps, that little motivational number you chose could begin to feel like a big, fat, sweaty guy sitting on the back of your neck. His name is Carl and, guys, Carl just had the atomic chili for lunch.

What I’m saying is that trying to lose weight can be stressful enough, don’t add to it by piling on unnecessary pressure. Be honest with yourself. Do you tend to get overwhelmed easily and quit? Then maybe a series of smaller more easily attained goals are better for you. Setting smaller goals also means that you have reasons to celebrate sooner, and more frequently. It’s an opportunity to throw yourself a little party, buy yourself a present, or go hog wild and eat a cupcake.

Yes, I said cupcake… stop looking at me like that.


I guess the point for me is that even though this is a challenge (and I plan on crushing you all like the insects that you are), I don't want to see anyone fail.

"I found that if you have a goal, that you might not reach it. But if you don't have one, then you are never disappointed. And I gotta tell ya, it feels phenomenal." - Peter LaFleur (Dodgeball)

 

4 comments:

  1. You're so right about this - my only goal is "form healthier habits, have fun and lose as fast as possible". Well, actually that might be three goals, but I've never been good with numbers... ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Any idea who had a DOZEN cupcakes delivered to my office yesterday?!
    B) Once I walk off the afore mentioned cupcakes- I plan on crushing you like the skinny bitch twig that you are.
    Tres) Thanks for letting me in on your secret of a freezer full of dinners. Don't be surprised if you pop those open and they suddenly taste like butter and chocolate (Cause I know where you live, and I know people that have keys).
    D) Can you give me a ride home? I walked all the way to your house and sabotaged your freezer but now I'm too tired to walk back to my house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) It was Sean.
    B) If I ever get twig like, you have my permission to snap me in half.
    Tres) I'm not a master chef or anything, but I think buttery or chocolatey chili sounds like pukefest 2011 waiting to happen, and that would only make me lose weight. SO BRING IT!
    D) No. Walk home. Reduce that muffin before you bust a button and hurt someone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Diandra: Counting is hard. But keep working on it and eventually you'll get there! :-)

    ReplyDelete